凯瑟琳夫人的警告

类别:经典文学

凯瑟琳夫人怒斥伊丽莎白不许嫁达西先生,伊丽莎白坚决拒绝,凯瑟琳夫人反而促成了这桩婚事。

时长 62 秒 · 语速 178 wpm

字幕原文

Lady Catherine swept into the house, proud and furious. 凯瑟琳夫人昂首阔步地走进屋里,怒气冲冲。

She took Elizabeth aside and spoke without any kindness. 她把伊丽莎白拉到一边,说话时毫无善意。

"I have heard a shocking rumor," she said. 她说:“我听到了一个令人震惊的谣言。”

"People say you hope to marry my nephew, Mr. Darcy. 有人说你希望嫁给我的侄子,达西先生。

Tell me it is not true." 告诉我这不是真的。

Elizabeth stayed calm. 伊丽莎白保持冷静。

"Why do you ask me such a thing?" 你为什么要问我这种事?

"Because it is impossible!" “因为这不可能!”

cried Lady Catherine. 凯瑟琳夫人喊道。

"Mr. 先生

Darcy is meant for my own daughter. 达西注定是给我女儿的。

You are a nobody. 你是个无名小卒。

Your family is low, and your sister has disgraced you. 你们家门第低,你妹妹让你蒙羞了。

Promise me you will never marry him." 答应我,你永远不要嫁给他。

"I will promise no such thing," Elizabeth said quietly. “我不会做这种承诺,”伊丽莎白轻声说道。

Lady Catherine was shocked. 凯瑟琳夫人震惊了。

No one ever refused her. 从来没有人拒绝过她。

But Elizabeth would not bend. 但是伊丽莎白不肯屈服。

"I am a gentleman's daughter," she said. 她说:“我是一个绅士的女儿。”

"I have as much right to happiness as anyone. 我像任何人一样,有权获得幸福。

I will do what makes me happy, whatever you say." 我会做让我开心的事情,不管你说什么。

Rank can command a room, but it cannot command a brave and honest heart. 地位可以掌控全场,但它无法征服一颗勇敢而正直的心。

Lady Catherine left in a great rage, sure that she had failed. 凯瑟琳夫人怒气冲冲地离开了,确信自己失败了。

But she had done something she never intended. 但是她做了一件她从未打算做的事。

She was about to help the very match she wished to destroy. 她正要帮助恰恰是她想要毁掉的那件事情。