衣橱还是壁橱
类别:日常生活
波兰人初到美国,讲述对美式壁橱的文化差异、语言趣事,以及从抗拒到喜爱的适应。
时长 55 秒 · 语速 185 wpm
字幕原文
There are many things we foreigners have to get used to in America. 我们外国人在美国有很多事情需要适应。
One of them is closets. 其中之一就是壁橱。
Every bedroom here has one, built right into the wall, taking up space you cannot move. 这里的每个卧室都有一个,直接建在墙里,占用着无法移动的空间。
Americans store all kinds of things in them — 美国人在里面存放各种各样的东西——
not just clothes, but toys, shoes, 不只是衣服,还有玩具、鞋子,
and seasonal items. 以及季节性物品。
Back in Poland, we don't keep shoes inside with our clothes; we think shoes are dirty. 在波兰,我们不把鞋子和衣服放在一起;我们觉得鞋子很脏。
And we don't have built-in closets at all. 而且我们根本没有嵌入式衣柜。
When you move into a Polish home, the bedrooms are bare, 当你搬进波兰的家时,卧室是空的,
so you buy a wardrobe — any size you like — 所以你会买一个衣柜——任何你喜欢的尺寸——
and put it wherever you want. 然后把它放在任何你想放的地方。
The funny part? 最有趣的是什么?
In Polish, the word "closet" sounds like our word for "toilet." 在波兰语中,“closet”这个词听起来像我们说的“厕所”。
So "Put your coat in the closet" sounds very strange to us! 所以“把你的外套放进衣柜”对我们来说听起来很奇怪!
It has led to many laughs. 这引发了很多笑声。
At first I thought closets were a bad idea. 起初我以为壁橱是个坏主意。
Now I love them, especially the walk-in kind. 现在我爱上了它们,尤其是步入式衣帽间。
It is funny how the strange new thing you resist 很有趣的是,你所抵触的陌生新事物,
often becomes the thing you can't live without. 往往会变成你离不开的东西。