罗琳大学选专业趣事
类别:剧情电影
罗琳讲述父母期望她读职业学位,她却偷偷从现代语言转读古典学的大学经历。
时长 73 秒 · 语速 170 wpm
字幕原文
I know the irony strikes with the force of a cartoon anvil now. 我知道这种讽刺现在就像卡通片里的铁砧一样,猛烈地袭来。
So they hoped that I would take a vocational degree. 所以他们希望我能读一个职业学位。
I wanted to study English literature. 我想读英语文学。
A compromise was reached 双方达成了妥协,
that in retrospect satisfied nobody, 事后看来,谁都不满意,
and I went up to study modern languages. 于是我去大学读了现代语言。
Hardly had my parents' car rounded the corner at the end of the 我父母的车刚转过
road 路尽头的弯,
than I ditched German 我就放弃了德语,
and scuttled off down the classics corridor. 然后赶紧溜到古典学走廊去了。
I cannot remember telling my parents 我不记得告诉过我父母
that I was studying classics. 我在读古典学这件事。
They might well have found out for the first time on graduation day. 他们很可能直到毕业那天,才第一次发现这件事。
Of all the subjects on this planet, 在这个星球上所有的学科中,
I think they would have been hard put 我想他们很难说出有哪一门
to name one less useful than Greek mythology 比希腊神话更没用的,
when it came to securing the keys to an executive bathroom. 如果只是为了获得进入高管洗手间的钥匙。
Now, I would like to make it clear in parenthesis 现在,我想顺便澄清一点,
that I do not blame my parents for their point of view. 我不怪我父母有这种看法。
there is an expiry date on blaming your parents for steering you in 责怪父母把你引向
the wrong direction. 错误方向是有期限的。
The moment you are old enough to take the wheel, 一旦你足够成熟,能够掌控自己的人生,
responsibility lies with you. 责任就在你自己身上。
What is more, 更重要的是,
I cannot criticize my parents for hoping 我不能批评我父母希望
that I would never experience poverty. 我永远不会受穷。
They had been poor themselves, 他们自己也曾贫穷过,
and I have since been poor 而我后来也穷过。