拒绝劳里

类别:经典文学

乔拒绝了劳里的求婚,因为她只把他当朋友,劳里伤心远走欧洲,乔也决定前往纽约寻求改变。

时长 66 秒 · 语速 171 wpm

字幕原文

The years passed, and the sisters grew into young women. 岁月流逝,姐妹们都长成了年轻的姑娘。

Laurie, once a playful boy, 劳里,曾经是个顽皮的男孩,

was now a young man, 现在已是个小伙子了,

and he had fallen deeply in love with 他已经深深地爱上了

Joe. One day, he could hold it in no longer. 乔。有一天,他终于忍不住了。

Joe, he said, I've loved you for so long. “乔,”他说,“我爱你很久了。”

Please marry me. “请嫁给我吧。”

Joe's heart ached, for she loved Laurie dearly, but only as a friend, like a brother. 乔心里很难过,因为她非常爱劳里,但只是像朋友,像兄弟一样。

Oh, Laurie, she said gently. I can't. “哦,劳里,”她温柔地说,“我不能。”

We would only quarrel. 我们在一起只会争吵。

I'm not the right wife for you. 我不适合做你的妻子。

I don't love you that way, and I never could. 我不是那样爱着你,也永远无法那样爱你。

Lori was heartbroken. 劳里伤心欲绝。

I'll never love anyone else, he cried. “我永远不会再爱别人了!”他哭着说。

You will, Joe said kindly. “你会的,”乔温柔地说。

Someday you'll find someone far better for you than I am. “总有一天你会找到一个比我更适合你的人。”

It was hard for Joe to hurt her there friend, 乔很难让她的朋友伤心,

but she would not marry without true love, not even to make him happy. 但她不会在没有真爱的情况下结婚,即使是为了让他幸福也不行。

To be true to yourself is sometimes the loneliest kind of courage. 忠于自己有时需要最孤独的勇气。

Lori went away to Europe to heal his broken heart, 劳里去了欧洲疗愈他破碎的心,

and Restless Joe, needing a change, decided to leave home too. 而不安分的乔,也渴望改变,决定离家。

She would travel to the great city of New York. 她将前往纽约这座大城市。