追查那只鹅

类别:经典文学

福尔摩斯和华生通过追查一只鹅的线索,最终找到了偷窃珠宝的真凶。

时长 64 秒 · 语速 182 wpm

字幕原文

Holmes and I followed the trail of the goose through the cold night. 福尔摩斯和我循着鹅的踪迹,穿过寒冷的夜晚。

First we went to the inn where Henry Baker had bought it. 首先,我们去了亨利·贝克买下那只鹅的那家旅店。

From there we were sent to a seller in the market named Breckinridge. 从那里,我们被指引到市场里一位名叫布雷肯里奇的卖家那里。

Breckinridge was rude and did not want to talk. 布雷肯里奇很粗鲁,并且不想说话。

But Holmes was clever. 但是福尔摩斯很聪明。

He made a friendly bet about 他打了一个友善的赌,关于

where the geese came from, 那些鹅来自哪里,

and soon the angry man opened his sales book to prove 很快,那个生气的男人打开了他的销售账本,以证明

that he was right. 他自己是对的。

In doing so, he told us everything we needed to know. 这样做,他告诉了我们所有需要知道的一切。

As we left, a small, nervous man came running up to Breckinridge's stall. 当我们离开时,一个矮小、紧张的男人跑到了布雷肯里奇的摊位旁。

He was desperate, asking about the very same geese. 他很绝望,询问着正是那些鹅。

Holmes stepped forward gently. 福尔摩斯轻轻地走上前。

"I think I can help you," he said. “我想我能帮你。”他说。

"You are looking for a goose that was sold to Mr. Henry Baker." “你在找一只卖给了亨利·贝克先生的鹅。”

The little man went white with fear. 那个小个子男人吓得脸色发白。

"Yes! “是的!

Oh yes! 哦,是的!

Please—" he stammered. 请——”他结结巴巴地说。

"Then you had better come with us," said Holmes. “那么你最好跟我们走。”福尔摩斯说。

Guilt has a face of its own, and it cannot hide for long. 罪恶的嘴脸是藏不住的。

The man's name was James Ryder. 那个男人的名字叫詹姆斯·莱德。

He worked at the very hotel where the jewel had been stolen. 他工作的地方正是那家珠宝被盗的酒店。

At last, we had found our thief. 最终,我们找到了我们的窃贼。