危险的继父

类别:经典文学

海伦向福尔摩斯讲述了危险继父罗伊洛特医生,他控制着遗产。福尔摩斯怀疑继父与姐姐的死有关。

时长 64 秒 · 语速 179 wpm

字幕原文

Helen told Holmes about her home and her stepfather. 海伦告诉福尔摩斯关于她的家和她的继父。

"We live in an old country house," she said. “我们住在一栋老旧的乡村别墅里,”她说。

"My stepfather is Dr. Roylott. “我的继父是罗伊洛特医生。

He is a strong, angry man with a violent temper. 他是一个强壮、脾气暴躁的男人。

Everyone is afraid of him." 每个人都害怕他。”

"He has strange habits," she went on. “他有一些奇怪的习惯,”她接着说。

"He keeps wild animals from India. “他养着来自印度的野生动物。

A cheetah and a baboon walk freely in our garden. 一只猎豹和一只狒狒在我们的花园里自由走动。

And he lets a band of gypsies camp on our land." 他还让一群吉普赛人在我们的土地上扎营。”

"Tell me about the money," Holmes said. “告诉我关于钱的事情,”福尔摩斯说。

Helen looked surprised. 海伦看起来很惊讶。

"When our mother died, she left money for my sister and me. “我们母亲去世时,她给我们姐妹俩留下了钱。

But Dr. Roylott controls it. 但罗伊洛特医生控制着这笔钱。

If either of us marries, he must give part of that money away." 如果我们中的任何一个人结婚,他就必须分出一部分钱。”

Holmes's face grew serious. 福尔摩斯的脸色变得严肃起来。

"And your sister died just before her wedding. “而你的姐姐在婚礼前去世了。

Now, I think, you too are engaged to be married?" 现在,我想,你也要订婚结婚了?”

"Yes," said Helen. “是的,”海伦说。

"Next month." “下个月。”

"And suddenly you have been moved into the room where your sister died," Holmes said quietly. “而你突然被搬进了你姐姐去世的那个房间,”福尔摩斯轻声说。

"I do not like this at all." “我一点也不喜欢这样。”

When money is at stake, a smile can easily hide a knife. 当金钱攸关时,笑容很容易藏刀。

"I must see this room myself," Holmes said. “我必须亲自看看这个房间,”福尔摩斯说。

"We will come today, while your stepfather is away." “我们今天就来,趁你继父不在的时候。”