恐惧的求助

类别:经典文学

恐惧的求助者海伦向福尔摩斯讲述了她双胞胎姐姐离奇死亡的经历,以及她现在面临的神秘威胁。

时长 71 秒 · 语速 159 wpm

字幕原文

Early one morning, a young woman came to Baker Street. 一天清晨,一位年轻女子来到了贝克街。

She was pale and shaking with fear. 她脸色苍白,吓得发抖。

Her name was Helen Stoner. 她的名字叫海伦·斯通纳。

"Mr. “福尔摩斯先生,

Holmes, I am so afraid," she said. 我好害怕,”她说。

"I cannot sleep. “我睡不着。

I feel that something terrible is coming." 我感觉有什么可怕的事情要发生了。”

"Sit down and tell me everything," Holmes said gently. “请坐下,把一切都告诉我,”福尔摩斯温和地说。

"You have come by train, I see, and you were driving in a cart before that." “我看得出来,你是坐火车来的,之前还坐过马车。”

"Yes, but how—?" “是的,可是您怎么知道的——?”

"There is fresh mud on your sleeve, in just the place a cart “你的袖子上沾着新鲜的泥巴,正好是马车

splashes it," Holmes said. 溅到的地方,”福尔摩斯说。

"Now, please, your story." “现在,请讲你的故事吧。”

Helen took a breath. 海伦深吸了一口气。

"Two years ago, my twin sister died. “两年前,我的双胞胎妹妹去世了。

It was strange and horrible. 那件事很奇怪,也很可怕。

The night she died, she screamed, 'The speckled band! 她去世的那晚,她尖叫着,‘花斑带!

The speckled band!' 花斑带!’

Then she was gone. 然后她就死了。

No one knew what she meant. 没有人知道她是什么意思。

The doctors found no cause." 医生们也找不到死因。”

Holmes leaned forward. 福尔摩斯向前倾身。

"And why do you fear now?" “那你现在为什么害怕呢?”

"Because," Helen whispered, "I have just been moved into my dead sister's room. “因为,”海伦低声说,“我刚刚搬进了我已故妹妹的房间。

And last night, I heard the same low whistle she spoke of before she died." 昨晚,我听到了她去世前提到过的同样的低沉的口哨声。”

Fear that cannot be explained is the hardest fear to bear. 无法解释的恐惧是最难承受的。

"This is deadly serious," Holmes said. “这事非常严重,”福尔摩斯说。

"Go on." “继续说吧。”