黑暗中的等待
类别:经典文学
华生与福尔摩斯在黑暗中等待,遭遇异响和亮光,福尔摩斯猛击假绳,邻室传来尖叫,揭示一场惊心动魄的秘密。
时长 64 秒 · 语速 179 wpm
字幕原文
When night came, Holmes and I crept into the silent room. 夜幕降临,福尔摩斯和我悄悄潜入寂静的房间。
We sat in the dark and waited, saying nothing. 我们坐在黑暗中,一言不发地等待着。
Holmes held a light and a thin cane, ready in his hand. 福尔摩斯手里拿着一盏灯和一根细长的手杖,蓄势待发。
The hours passed slowly. 时间缓慢地流逝着。
The house was black and still. 屋子里一片漆黑,寂静无声。
I could hear my own heart beating. 我能听到自己的心跳声。
I did not fully understand what we were waiting for, 我并不完全明白我们在等待什么,
but Holmes had warned me to be ready for anything. 但福尔摩斯曾警告我,要做好应对一切的准备。
Suddenly, near three in the morning, we saw a soft light through the air vent. 突然,凌晨三点左右,我们看到一束微弱的光从通风口透了过来。
A moment later, we smelled something burning. 片刻之后,我们闻到了一股烧焦的气味。
Dr. Roylott was awake in the next room. 罗伊洛特医生在隔壁房间醒了。
Then came a low, gentle sound—a soft hiss, like steam from a kettle. 接着传来一种低沉而轻柔的声音——一声轻微的嘶嘶声,就像水壶里冒出的蒸汽。
The instant Holmes heard it, he sprang into action. 福尔摩斯一听到,立刻行动起来。
"Watson!" “华生!”
he cried. 他喊道。
He struck a match, and by its light he began to beat fiercely 他划亮一根火柴,借着火柴的光,开始猛烈地敲打
at the fake bell-rope with his cane, 用他的手杖猛烈地敲打那根假的铃绳,
again and again. 一次又一次。
"Do you see it?" “你看到了吗?”
he shouted. 他大喊道。
"Do you see it?" “你看到了吗?”
The truth, when it finally moves, often moves in the dark. 真相,当它最终浮现时,常常在黑暗中。
I saw nothing clearly. 我什么也看不清楚。
But something was there on the rope—something alive. 但绳子上有什么东西——活生生的东西。
Then, from the next room, a terrible scream tore through the night. 接着,从隔壁房间传来一声可怕的尖叫,划破了夜空。