宽恕

类别:经典文学

詹姆斯·莱德坦白偷窃宝石并嫁祸他人,福尔摩斯出于宽恕放走了他,认为这比惩罚更能改造一个人,并解决了蓝宝石案。

时长 63 秒 · 语速 185 wpm

字幕原文

Back at Baker Street, James Ryder broke down completely. 回到贝克街,詹姆斯·莱德彻底崩溃了。

He fell into a chair and confessed everything. 他瘫坐在椅子上,坦白了一切。

"I took the jewel from the lady's room," he cried. “我从那位女士的房间里拿走了宝石,”他哭着说。

"I planned to blame the plumber, Horner. “我原打算嫁祸给水管工霍纳。

Then I panicked. 然后我慌了。

I had to hide it. 我不得不把它藏起来。

My sister was raising geese, so I pushed the jewel down one goose's throat. 我妹妹在养鹅,所以我把宝石塞进了一只鹅的喉咙里。

But the geese were mixed up, and the wrong one was sold. 可是鹅弄混了,错的那只被卖掉了。

I have been searching for it ever since!" 从那以后我一直在找它!”

He wept and begged. 他哭泣着恳求。

"Please, sir, do not send me to prison. “先生,请不要把我送进监狱。

I have never stolen before. 我以前从未偷过东西。

It will destroy me." 这会毁了我。”

Holmes was silent for a long moment. 福尔摩斯沉默了良久。

Then he opened the door. 然后他打开了门。

"Get out," he said quietly. “出去,”他轻声说。

Ryder could not believe it. 莱德简直不敢相信。

He ran into the night and was gone. 他跑进了夜色中,消失了。

"Holmes, you let him go!" “福尔摩斯,你放他走了!”

I said, surprised. 我惊讶地说。

"I am not the police, Watson," Holmes said. “我不是警察,华生,”福尔摩斯说。

"This man is terrified. “这个人吓坏了。

He will never steal again—I have saved him, not ruined him. 他再也不会偷窃了——我是救了他,而不是毁了他。

And Horner will go free, for I have all the proof I need." 霍纳也会被释放,因为我已经掌握了所有需要的证据。”

Sometimes mercy does more to mend a person than punishment ever could. 有时候,仁慈比惩罚更能感化一个人。

And so ended the strange case of the Blue Carbuncle. 于是,蓝宝石奇案就此结束了。