晚宴上搭讪失败,被劝多吃少说

类别:生活日常

新概念英语第40课讲述作者在晚宴上试图与邻座女士交谈,但对方冷漠回应,只顾吃饭。作者尝试多个话题均被拒绝,最后被建议多吃少说。故事幽默地展示了社交尴尬。

时长 80 秒 · 口音 英式 · 语速 105 wpm

字幕原文

Lesson 40 Food and Talk Last week, 第40课 食物与谈话

at a dinner party, 上周的一次晚宴上

the hostess asked me to sit next to Mrs. Rumbold. 女主人让我坐在兰伯尔德太太旁边

Mrs. Rumbold was a large, 兰伯尔德太太是个身材高大

unsmiling lady in a tight black dress. 穿着紧身黑色连衣裙、不苟言笑的女士

She did not even look up when I took my seat beside her. 我在她旁边坐下时,她甚至头都没抬

Her eyes were fixed on her plate and, 她的眼睛一直盯着盘子

in a short time, 不一会儿

she was busy eating. 她就忙着吃起来了

I tried to make a conversation. 我试着搭话

A new play is coming to the Globe soon, I said. 我说,环球剧院很快要上演一出新戏

Will you be seeing it? 你会去看吗?

No, she answered. 她回答:不会

Will you be spending your holidays abroad this year? 我问:今年你会去国外度假吗?

I asked.

No, she answered. 她回答:不会

Will you be staying in England? 我问:你会留在英国吗?

I asked.

No, she answered. 她回答:不会

In despair, 绝望之下

I asked her whether she was enjoying her dinner. 我问她晚餐吃得是否满意

Young man, she answered. 她回答:年轻人

If you ate more and talked less, 如果你多吃点、少说点

we would both enjoy our dinner. 我们俩都能吃得更好