用头脑不用拳头
类别:经典文学
斯各特因父亲帮助黑人被嘲笑,她学会了用头脑而非拳头应对偏见和愤怒,并逐渐理解真正的勇气。
时长 61 秒 · 语速 179 wpm
字幕原文
At school and around town, children began to tease me. 在学校里和镇上,孩子们开始取笑我。
They said ugly things about Atticus. 他们说阿提克斯的坏话。
They called him bad names for helping Tom Robinson. 他们因为他帮助汤姆·鲁滨逊而骂他。
I was quick to anger. 我很容易发脾气。
So I did what came naturally—I used my fists. 于是我顺其自然地做了——我动用了拳头。
When a boy insulted my father, I hit him hard. 当一个男孩侮辱我父亲时,我狠狠地揍了他。
When Atticus found out, he was not proud of me. 阿提克斯知道后,他并没有为我感到骄傲。
"Scout," he said gently, "I need you to promise me something. “斯各特,”他温和地说,“我需要你答应我一件事。
From now on, hold your head high and keep your fists down. 从现在起,你要昂首挺胸,放下拳头。
Fight with your mind, not with your hands." 用你的思想去战斗,而不是用你的双手。”
"But they say terrible things about you!" “可是他们说你的坏话!”
I cried. 我哭着说。
"They are angry and afraid," Atticus said. “他们又生气又害怕,”阿提克斯说。
"Try to understand them. “试着去理解他们。
You can be brave without hurting anyone. 你可以勇敢,而不伤害任何人。
Sometimes the bravest thing is to walk away." 有时候,最勇敢的事情就是转身离开。”
It was hard, but I tried. 这很难,但我努力了。
Slowly, I learned to swallow my anger. 慢慢地,我学会了忍住怒火。
Anyone can throw a punch; it takes real strength to hold your temper. 谁都能挥拳打人;真正有力量的是控制住自己的脾气。
I was learning that Atticus faced far worse than I did, 我逐渐明白,阿提克斯面临的困境比我遇到的糟糕得多,
and yet he never lost his calm. 然而他从未失去冷静。
But the town's anger was growing—and one dark night, it turned dangerous. 但镇上的怒火正在增长——在一个漆黑的夜晚,它变得危险起来。